Monday 6 June 2011

GSoC 2011: Week 2

This week's task was to get back in touch with SVG and other SVG manipulation libraries. I spent most of this week looking at the current 'Display Chart' functionality and following others related work using SVG like  Madhura recently created a GIS Visualization feature using SVG, so I went through his work. There are some doubts over SVG support by different browsers but I think by the time this feature will be available for release, SVG support should get better.

I also found out some design errors I made while designing the interface for input and the query generation phase and corrected them. As the 'Display Chart' feature works for specific queries (http://demo.phpmyadmin.net/gsoc-madhura/Documentation.html#faq6_29), I am hoping that this interface would restrict the user to generate only these type of queries.

I then used SVG to generate a basic plot for two columns with numeric values. Just a basic framework to include other plot features. I will be working on the same this week. My tasks would be to improve the plot, plotting data points based on string field and other field types, deciding over the labels of the data points ( trying whether to take as input from user or based on some index ).

No comments:

Post a Comment