Sunday 19 June 2011

GSoC 2011: Week 4

This week I implemented a basic model of the functionalites that my zoom-search will offer. Previous week I had created the plot using SVG and this week I used Highcharts (which Tyron suggested as he has replaced pChart with it) to generate the charts.

So basically this week I looked into Highcharts and explored its options reference manual. I used the scatter plot chart type with point objects. It offers zooming functionality ( in x, y and xy), although the panning feature is still missing. Next I also included the clickable point feature to show the data row when the point is clicked. It also offers datalabel feature which I take as input from user or use the table display field otherwise.

The charts produced by Highcharts are good visually and it also has a lot of inbuilt functionality but one problem I was found was that: For tables with large number of rows, the response time goes up. For some cases in my firefox 4.0.1 it alerts to stop script or stops responding. So maybe we could use AJAX to improve on the response time (as Marc suggested).

Apart from this I also did some fixes in my code and added resizing chart functionality (by dragging a corner), provided a 'Directions to use' link. I also received suggestions on the mailing-list so I will work towards them next. This includes improving the search criteria, using AJAX to improve the response time, panning feature for the plot.




No comments:

Post a Comment